12/7/11

Sara Jane's Christmas Story...'My First Little Girl'


December 12, 2009
Dear Diary,
It's been at least two weeks since my last entry, but I've been on a long trip from Seattle, Washington to....I'm not sure yet, but I think it's someplace in Texas. You see, I was suddenly placed in a box full of newspaper, plastic bags (thankfully not over my head), cardboard and those styrofoam peanut thingys. When the box was taped shut, I couldn't see a thing, and I wasn't sure what was happening until I heard the Postman say, "That'll be $15.79 for shipping to Texas. Anything breakable, or hazzardous and so on.
Right then I knew that 'The Lady' had sold me on eBay. Here's the picture she took of me for the listing.  I was so embarrassed when I saw the picture on the computer. My dress is too big and torn, the slip was a hand me down, my shoes are three sizes to large and my hair...well, Diary, it's all tangled and matted and wadded up in a thing called a scrunchy.

The next thing I know, I'm being lifted out of the box and when the plastic and peanuts were brushed from my face, I opened my eyes to a crowd of smiling faces. It's Christmas! I had no idea until I saw the Christmas Tree and the room full of kids and grownups who looked so happy and surprised to see me! I wonder which little girl is going to be mine this Christmas?
Imagine my surprise, Diary, when the lady who opened the box, hugged and kissed me and said to the man standing next to her, "Thank-you, Santa"!

I've made lots of trips this time of year, and been lots of different little girls Christmas gift. But, there's something funny about this Christmas. The man doesn't look like the Santa I know, and I'm not usually shipped in a UHaul Box.  Dolly

Hi Ya'll,
It's me, Sara Jane.  I haven't written in my Diary since arriving in Texas.  I've been too busy getting a Magical Makeover and getting to know Sue again.   You may already know that I was her Christmas present when she was ten, and that somewhere along the way we were separated, and that she never forgot me, and the whole ebay story and the letter to Santa and well....you know! 

It turns out that her HiHoney Santa read her letter and made all the arrangements for Sue and I to be together again.  Sue says she has always BELIEVED in Santa and now I do, too....again!  Besides, this HiHoney Santa of her's....he's a real SweetSanta.
The first thing Sue did was take off that ugly dress and those huge shoes.  Then it was a grand bubble bath and restoring my hair.  It was so much fun playing beauty shop. 

Did you know that you can Google Doll Hair Restoration?  Well, I didn't either and I was so worried that the tangled mess that my hair had become would never be pretty curls again.  The key is 'Fabric Softener'....not Shampoo!

Next was a new dress.  I remember that Sue was learning to sew when she was ten, and now she is a really good sewer.  She said her Mama taught her, and that she's made lots of doll clothes.  This is the pattern that I chose.  First the dress and then Sue promised to make a new night gown.  I just love the pink one on the pattern.

I haven't had a new pair of proper fitting shoes in I don't know how long.  Probably not since the first pair back when Sue was ten...that'd be about 1957.... don't tell her I told you how old we are.  Anyway, about new shoes... I'm pretty sure I have NEVER been to a shoe store.

OMGosh it was so much fun...trying on all those cute shoes! 
What a surprise that there were so many different styles in my size!
We finally decided on these pretty black shiny shoes with bows.  We used to call then Mary Janes.
I'm going to call them Sara Janes!  See my 'Christmas Socks'?
Sue made them from a pair of her socks.  She said every girl should have socks to match her dress!

In the years that Sue and I were apart, I met lots of other Dolly's that had been lost. 
There was Chatty Cathy, Midge, Betsey, Posey and even a Madame Alexander.
Every one of them remembered their first little girl!
To all of my Lost Dolly Friends and to all of their 'First Little Girls'
Sue and I say...
Always BELIEVE in the Spirit of Christmas,
Santa Claus
and
EBay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SaraJane and Sue love to hear from You!